Mandate and Classification
Joint Committees of Parliament
The Joint Committee on National Cohesion and Equal opportunity.
The Joint Committee on National Cohesion and Equal Opportunity shall is appointed under S.O. No. 214. Its role is to: -
- monitor and promote measures relating to policy and program initiatives in pursuit of peace and national cohesion
- investigate, inquire into and report on all matters relating to inter-community cohesion;
- monitor and promote measures designed to enhance the equalisation of opportunities and improvement in the quality of life and status of all persons, including persons who are marginalised on the basis of gender, age, disability, health status, ethnic, racial, cultural or religious background or affiliation or any other such ground;
- investigate, inquire into and report on all matters relating to discrimination or marginalisation of persons referred to under sub-sub-paragraph (c) ;
- make proposals to Parliament including legislative proposals for the protection, equalisation of opportunities and promotion of the welfare of the groups referred to under sub-paragraph (c); and
- examine the activities and administration of all state departments and statutory bodies in so far as they relate to the rights and welfare of the persons referred to under sub-paragraph (c).
Joint Committee on Parliamentary Broadcast and Library
- The Joint Committee on Parliamentary Broadcast and Library shall is appointed under S.O. No. 215 and is mandated to: -
- consider and report on all matters relating to joint broadcasting of Parliamentary proceedings;
- advice the Houses of parliament on matters related to public participation in parliament;
- make reports and recommendations to the Houses of parliament, including proposed legislation on matters relating to broadcasting of parliamentary proceedings and matters related thereof;
- recommend to and advice the Houses of parliament on matters related to provision of library, publications and research services in parliament, including improvement of the library and research services; and
- Assist members of parliament in utilizing the facilities provided by the joint library and research services, including use of information and communication technology.
- The Joint Committee on Parliamentary Broadcast and Library shall not deal with matters related to procurement of items or services of the broadcast, the library or research services, or any matter falling within a function of the Parliamentary Service Commission.